Darlene Abbott | Music Mom

Inexpensive Front Porch Decorations

facebookpinterest

I had some wicker chairs on my front porch from my Mom-in-love. I spray painted them and found cushions in fabulous sha

pe at Good Will. I painted them every 12 to 18 months to take care of them and protect them from the elements. Alas though they raveled and were out of my capabilities to fix, so I sold them at a garage sale.

With a bare front porch, I started looking for new decorations. I had seen some chairs at an estate sale that I really, really, really liked, but they were a little steep on the price. So I prayed and asked the Lord to help me forget about the chairs to focus on him, to not be materialistic, but to help me find something to make my front porch look inviting.

The very next day, I was taking my daughter to a friends house, and just a couple of yards past her friend’s I saw a bench sitting by the mailbox. I went and checked it out. It was a rod iron glider, in perfect condition, well workinng condition and it had a sign on it that said, “FREE”. I couldn’t believe it!!! Thank you Lord, what a sweet little blessing from you.

I loaded it in the van and brought it home. My sweet husband thought it was great that I found it free, but when I told him the story about the chairs and my prayer, he was even more excited at God’s blessings.

The chair is in the process of being sanded and painted, but while I have to let that sit to dry I decided to find something to go in it. I was inspired by some Pinterest ideas and here is what I came up with.

4 pillows from the Thrift store, 50 cents each. I cut the ruffles off and washed and dried them.

June2014ProjectB

Then I took four rectangular pices of Burlap and hemmed them. Folded the bottom 3/4 way to the top and stitched up the sides. The top piece became the flap to fold over the opening. I folded the corners in and used adhesive velcro to close the pillow case.

June2014ProjectC

I used four smaller pieces of burlap, that I also hemmed, for the numbers. I simply printed the font and size I wanted and laid the burlap piece over the card stock. I traced the number on the burlap and then painted it. Once it was dry, I stitched it on the front of the pillows.

June2014ProjectE

I put the pillows in grocery sacks to help protect from the rain and put them in the pillow cases.

June2014ProjectD

The bench is still being worked on, but I’m very excited how the pillows turned out. You can read the house number very well from the road.   Thanks for reading.

June2014ProjectA

 

 

 

facebookpinterest